Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A different flavour..

Meals are one of the accepted forms of socializing among mankind. Since yore meals have been looked upon as an announcement of brotherhood and sharing a meal or feeding someone taken as confirmation of friendship. Food and company both being some of the most primitive needs of man , we have found a way to blend them and enjoy both at the same time.

In almost every possible situation that revolves around food I am fairly correct except for one exception. And that refers to the meals I share with my jamaat sisters( cant think of another word). We have been sitting together at the same place for about 4 years now and I still cant tell you the names of each and everyone. Of course I am quite familiar by now with their eating habits but have never come around to asking their names. I know a few just not all.

Every meal starts like this. First my friends and I encounter faces which question our presence yet again among them. Then begins the silent meal , in case I am alone, the slow partaking of food, the study of the dirty linen, the secret study of the girls in front of me and the the now-almost-perfect-facade of pretending I am not bored.

I suppose it would be wrong to put the whole blame squarely upon them. They are just different. Being different is not bad , its just that they are a different that we cant reconcile ourselves with and vice verse.

It is ironical that we cant form relations with the very people we share the closest bonds with. It brings to mind a line I read somewhere- You dont find friends, you make them. And it seems we are not ready to make friends just yet.

2 comments:

Mahjabeen said...

its a gud read but i cant help but be a little critical here..and yes since i hav every right to do it (..and a right to do a lot more things) i shall do it.
i thot u could hav elobrated more on the "events and happenings" of the "thaal meals" and given a few instances or a few critical one liners for our "thaal mates"(jamaat sisters ..ugh !!)

in fact i liked ur flow of thought in the previous post better .

tethered thoughts said...

i dont agree with mahjabeen...this is a sneak peak into a world ver few of us know about...and must remain so...elaboration will destroy the sense of whetted appetite!!

well worded sehba..